
The Canadian Maritime Provinces were a big destination for my travels this summer. When I left Massachusetts I decided to head straight for Prince Edward Island being the farthest away. That way I would more likely get there and not run out of time. I traveled 3 days to a location in New Brunswick where I would be driving down the
Acadian Coast to the bridge to PEI. Of course it was foggy and rainy and I couldn't see much. Then I came to the spectacular bridge. The Confederation Bridge. 8 miles long across the
Northumberland

Strait, the warmest waters north of North Carolina. I found a campground and registered for 4 days only to find that it was soggy from rain and I worried about getting out of my site. The campground however had water views on 2 sides and I had lovely neighbors from Nova
Scotia.
I went to the north coast one day and drove a scenic route through a National Park finding a small eatery along the way. I had PEI mussels which were so good I ate mussels every day!

PEI has beautiful scenery and small protected fishing ports all over.
I spent 2 days on the beach on the south shore. I had wanted to swim in these warm waters for a long time. The beach was in a small provincial park and was completely free. I swam and read most of the afternoon.
The day I left was rainy, windy and foggy. I was being blown by the wind and had to slow down particularly over the bridge but all that happened was that the people behind me were slowed down too!
On to New Brunswick and Hopewell Rocks. The tides here can reach 46 feet with a new moon and when the moon is close to the earth. See where the ocean is in this picture. It is low tide. Normal high tides go halfway up the opening in the rock. The 46 foot tide covers the opening.
No comments:
Post a Comment