After many days in campgrounds with slow WiFi I am finally able to post about Charleston. My son has told me many times that I would like the city. First, of course, I took a tour of the city. It shows me the lay of the land and there is so much history, architecture, ghost stories etc.
 |
| Single House, Charleston |
|
|
This house is an architectural style unique to Charleston. Called a "Single House" notice that the door on the street is a false front door and leads only to the piazza. (Not called porches in Charleston) The actual front door to the house is in the middle of the porch. The houses are set to take advantage of the breeze on the porch and were built in the 18th, 19th centuries and are still being built.
 |
| Charleston City Market |
|
I went to Charleston a 2nd day to go to the City Market and walk around the historic district. The City market is old and full of interesting shops and I, the non-shopper bought things. I have traveled out Route 17 from Charleston which on the north side is nicknamed the Sweetgrass Basket Weavers Highway. There are wooden stands all along the road where the weavers sell their beautiful baskets. They are not cheap and I have admired but resisted until Miss Sarah offered me a deal I could not resist.
There are many basket weavers in the market but I had a long talk with this sweet lady and she gave me a price on a basket that I knew was good because I had stopped on the highway. I left her a deposit and went across the street to an ATM and the deal was done. I am very happy with this basket. The baskets are tightly woven and very strong.
 |
| Sweetgrass basket |
|
You should see how good the basket looks with fruit in it! I also was drawn to a book of photographs. Called "The Unpainted South" it contains photos of old unpainted or paint worn buildings. As someone who stops and takes similar pictures I had to buy this book. Most of these buildings will disappear soon.
After all the walking a good lunch at the "Noisy Oyster" was just the thing. Open to the outside and the oysters were the best!
Take a look at the comment on the post just below this one. It is a reference to the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" which fortunately I just finished so I got the joke!
No comments:
Post a Comment