Saturday, July 3, 2010

The UP

I have wanted to do a Great Lakes camping trip for about 25 years now taking my copy of the children's book, "Paddle to the Sea" with me. Last winter in the Florida Keys I met a man who has a cabin here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. He gave me a lot of information about what to see up here including things I wouldn't have found by myself.
I have long wanted to visit the Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point. It is a great little place and here is the picture of the bell of the Edmund Fitzgerald. The museum has a film about how they retrieved the bell and replaced it (over 500 feet down in Lake Superior) with a bell with all the 29 names of the crew members.
Next the log slide. Pictured Rocks state park has massive sand dunes and at left is a slide. In the logging days loggers would build wooden slides for the logs. This is a sand slide. No I did not slide down 500 feet and climb back up but a bus load of kids were climbing back up while I was there.


Finally the Pictured Rocks boat tour. These are sandstone rocks but marked by streams of water with minerals in them turning the stone all colors. They are carved out by the Lake Superior storms. Our captain put the boat all the way into Catheral Cave which you see here. An awesome sight as are the massive sand dunes in this park
Next: Crisp Point.

1 comment: