Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Yellowstone National Park

Yellowstone National Park. The first National Park. The one everyone wants to see. The one I've wanted to see since my siblings and I were saving money in coffee cans for a chance to come.
Yellowstone is vast. My friends Marcia and Gordon McDugle and their granddaughter, Kassie were here but we were in different campgrounds 16 miles apart. We were told the campgrounds were 1 hour apart and not until we got here did we know why. The bison are usually in the road causing traffic jams. Even if you can get around one everyone stops to take pictures. Well it is their home. Yellowstone has villages here and there consisting of a campground, maybe cabins or a hotel, general store, restaurant, visitor center, gas station and post office. In between there are miles and miles of wilderness filled with wildlife. I was in Fishing Bridge Village in the campground. Old Faithful was 40 miles away.

I took a photography tour on Tuesday morning. (What else?) It started at 5:45 for two reasons. The light is better in the early morning and there are animals that will disappear later. We looked for Bears (did not see one) Elk pictured here and Doug, our guide lent us polarizing filters to take the picture of the Grand Tetons across Yellowstone Lake. He gave us many pointers. He is a professional photographer but also much information about Yellowstone, animal policies and how they have changed, fire policies. He taught me to use more features on my camera.
My favorite shot that morning is the backlit fireweed but the falls with the rainbow has to be a
crowd pleaser. The rainbow appears once a day from 9:30 to 10:00 A.M. and I suppose that changes as the sun comes up later. The whole tour was fun and interesting. More about YNP in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment