Tuesday, February 21, 2012

On my Bicycle

I have been riding my bicycle down here for longer and longer distances just to be able to do some long trips.  A friend who does long trips was coming and I wanted to be able to ride with him.  Now I have done just that and more.

Old Seven

This is the old seven mile bridge.  You can see the new one to the left in this picture.  The Florida Keys are a string of islands connected by bridges or in the past some by ferry. "Old Seven" as it is called is open for 2 miles out to Pigeon Key, the island in the picture.  Only open to foot traffic and bicycles it is a treasure.  There is an organization trying to raise money to keep it open.  It is a wonderful ride. 

Thunderhead from "Old Seven"
The first time Dan and I rode the bridge there were storms around that were supposed to hit by 3 P.M.  We wanted to avoid those but ended up at the end of the bridge talking and watching them disappear so that we rode back around 4:30 - no storms!  This was not the long ride.

On the Overseas Highway Bike Path
I had never ventured up the bike path in town because I wasn't a very good rider and I was afraid I would not see turning traffic.  With a friend to accompany me and better confidence in my riding and distance readiness we set off for the beach in town one Sunday afternoon. It was chilly but a beautiful day.  The total distance was 10 miles.  I was very proud that I was able to go that far and will now do that ride again.

On Sombrero Beach

Since the ride to the beach I have ridden in a bike rally to support the homeless shelter.  Round trip of 9.5 miles to the airport and back.  Back on the bridge there was an event hosted by Friends of Old Seven.  People walked or rode the bridge and there were activities and a silent auction at nearby Sunset Grill.

Florida Bay.  Part of the Gulf of Mexico
The gulf was very colorful the day of the "Old Seven" event.  The next picture is the end of the 2 mile section of the bridge.  The bridge is cut there but you can see the rest of the old bridge continuing on.

"Old Seven" at Pigeon Key
I hope to have an interesting wildlife story next.  Hint:  Manatee Rescue was in the campground yesterday but they have not found the injured manatee that we saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment