Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Savannah

Juliette Low House
I toured Savannah taking a trolley.  As part of the tour I bought tickets to see 3 historic houses along the route.  The Juliette Gordon Low House is the birthplace of the founder of Girl Scouts.  This year is the 100th Anniversary of Girl Scouts and many of us touring the house were Girl Scouts but some were actually Scouts now recognizable by uniforms.  I was a Girl Scout until I went to college.  I was a leader when my daughter was in Scouts and then Outdoor consultant and Head of the Service Team for my town for another six years.  I have long wanted to see the Juliette Low House and as a bonus I walked around the garden and found the first Daylilies I have seen this season blooming in the garden.

The day will come when I settle down, buy a house and grow Daylilies again.
I then toured the Gordon House where "Daisy" as Juliette Low was called was born.  An interesting house because it has its original furnishings.

The third house was the Davenport House.  A federal style house which was saved from being torn down to put in a parking lot by seven women who were outraged and raised money to buy it .  They founded the Savannah Preservation Foundation which owns the house today.

Davenport House.  Savannah
For a better description of the tour go to Joyfulnow.blogspot.com.  My friend from the Keys writes that blog and she happened to be in Savannah for 2 days before I went in.  She and Dave came out to Tybee Island yesterday as I was in Savannah!  Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment