Monday, July 20, 2009

Stuff

Well, the decision has been made. Now what do I do with my "stuff"? I have lived in this house for 36 years. My children came home to this house and grew up and graduated and went to college from this house. I have my things, some of their things, some family things and all of the inventory for my antique business to sort, sell, give away and/or store. Where to begin with the declutter. I see the grammar program does not like that word. How about de-clutter? Aha, better.
The first piece of furniture to leave the house was my grandmother's sewing machine. Who in the world wants a treadle sewing machine in a cabinet that has a damaged finish and scratches on it? Yet, I remember my grandmother sewing on that machine. I can't just put it out on the curb. I suddenly remembered that it had been used in a production of "Fiddler on the Roof" at Brighton High School. I asked the Fine Arts director if they have a collection of props and if they could use this machine. She referred my question to the props manager and they happily picked up this very heavy machine and it will be used by Brighton or any other theater that wants to borrow it. My grandmother would be pleased. I am.
Uh oh, what about my daylily collection?

1 comment:

  1. While my sister was here this week my mother who lives near Highland Park decided she will turn her former strawberry patch back to grass next year. The strawberries are gone and the weeds have taken over. We were going to turn it over and reseed when my sister comes next spring, but if you would like the use of it for daylilies you are welcome. The plot is about 4'& 6' and gets a good amount of sun. Mother would be happy to help out. I, too, could find room to keep a few plants for you as well if you can't find enough room with other friends. Bonnie Kay

    ReplyDelete