Monday, August 17, 2009

Home Sweet Camper

The camper decision is an evolving idea. My first thoughts (on the way home from the Keys) were that I would buy a truck camper. It would be all I need. I can leave it in a campground and go places in the truck. It would be a cinch to drive. So I set out in June with a friend to visit an RV dealer who showed me a truck camper and then showed me other options. I was reluctant to tow something but the pop-up campers looked good and there were used campers that were quite reasonable. The last thing he showed me was a small trailer that my Honda Odyssey could tow. I have to admit it was sweet. I don't need a camper until next May but I knew I should begin to look at options. I left with the salesman's card and I set out to do some research on used campers.
Craigslist has a wealth of campers in all sorts of conditions and I still check it because I don't know when just the right one will show up.
I have to admit thought that my dream is a small Airstream. The Cadillac of campers but I discovered that there is a page on e-bay full of Airstreams. There are new postings almost every day. The are in various conditions and some are on the west coast but some are nearby and look like good vehicles. Surprisingly there are vintage Airstreams from the 60's and on up. They don't seem to lose much in value.
Last Friday I went to Burlington, VT to look at Airstreams. There are no Airstream dealers in my state. Burlington was not far from where I was camping on Lake George and I met my friend from the Florida Keys for lunch and Airstream shopping. I had never been inside one and I can now say that I have good taste. They are great inside. Not tacky like other trailers in their decor. Well, I haven't bought yet. One will come along. I left my name in case they get a good used Airstream that I can tow and i can afford.
So where's the picture with this post? You will have to click on the following link or paste it into your browser to see the Airstream I picked out but do not yet have.
http://www.airstream.com/products/travel-trailers/sport.html

No comments:

Post a Comment