Saturday, June 4, 2011

Cape May, New Jersey

Eight days in Cape May, New Jersey, my home state included a Road Scholar Program (formerly Elderhostel) called Maritime Cape May. I grew up in New Jersey but had never been to Cape May. It is a beautiful little city with great beaches. After paying a parking meter and buying a beach tag I sat on the beach and read and wadded. Typical New Jersey lifeboats were rowed by lifeguards in training. There was

tour boat traffic and the usual airplanes towing advertising banners. Now the banners tend to read things like "MillionairesforChristie.com" and you are to go to a website to get the real message.

The Road Scholar program featured lectures about the importance of Cape May in guiding ships into the Delaware River in history or keeping the German U-Boats out of the Delaware River. We climbed the lighthouse (I climbed halfway) and the WWII Fire tower which was built to direct the guns which would fire on German ships.
I also spent a day in Ocean City with my friend, Dan who has property there. We spent time on the beach and boardwalk and had a nice dinner together. Another New Jersey shore City that I had never visited.
Scroll to the next post to see the Cape May Victorians.

No comments:

Post a Comment