

Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge Massachusetts is a re-created village. It is a collection of buildings moved to the area which largely are from the 1830s. I love old buildings as one could have guessed from my former home built in 1863. I have wanted to go to Sturbridge for a very long time.
I spent a cool cloudy day there. Pictured are the Center Meetinghouse. A saltbox house which was to represent the parsonage. The reverend was there in character and told me that I could go upstairs because his wife did make the beds. He said he prepared 2 sermons for each Sunday of 1 hour long each. One for the morning and one for the afternoon. Clearly one was expected to attend both "meetings".
In a lawyers office I learned that the age to take a drink in a tavern was 18 for women and 21 for men. I didn't learn whether women were actually allowed in the taverns and of course I knew they couldn't vote.

Old Sturbridge Village was filled with schoolchildren on field trips that day. The last picture on this posting is of Tornado damage from 2 weeks before to some woods 2/10 of a mile from the Education entrance of the Village. I could see the path down the hill and through the woods to the road and then on the other side of the road. Fortunately there was no damage in the village but there was damage especially in Springfield Massachusetts where 3 people died.
No comments:
Post a Comment