Saturday, July 30, 2011

Life on Precocious


I was invited to sail again on Precocious and to stay the night on the boat. Thursday morning I waited for Susan to call and say that she was walking her dog, Alfie. I drove to the yacht club with overnight gear and my camera and we got into the club launch for the ride out to the moored sailboat.
The three of us began to get the boat ready for sail. Susan stowed things in the cabin so they would not shift or roll around or fall. George and I took the sail cover off. It involves moving the boom to port to be able to reach the end of the boom and unwrap the reef lines. I realized that I now can be a real crew member because on Tuesday I learned what all the lines were. That meant that when George asked me to move the traveler to port I could grab the correct lines and move the boom towards him.
We sailed from the harbor on light winds but soon had a decent wind. Headed in a different direction this time we encountered a race and all the
boats had spinnakers out, a very colorful sight. I had the helm for quite a while and then we had lunch with the boat on autopilot.
George and Susan and I are good friends and have known each other for a while and it was good to chat as we sailed.
Later back in the harbor they cooked dinner together in a galley that fits 2 people. A shrimp stir fry with vegetables garnished with fresh blueberries that I brought along. We handed everything up and ate dinner

in the cockpit with the sun lowering in
the sky. It was race night at the club. (We did not race) Racers were coming by and waving. Alfie barked and growled at a boat that contained a black lab.
I slept well, rocking gently and got up for the sunrise over the harbor. Not sure because clouds were predicted they held off for the sunrise.
We took a trip to Plymouth that day, Georges hometown. When I left them to go back to my campground I was sad to leave such good friends and be alone again but I will look forward to more adventures and to visiting more Keys friends in New Hampshire and Vermont.

No comments:

Post a Comment