Saturday, July 9, 2011

Newport

A foggy Rhode Island harbor. My first day here was foggy and showery. I set out to get some fog pictures. This is Gillette Harbor on Narragansett Bay. I am close to Newport and close enough to my friend who keeps his boat here and will take me on a picturesque cruise next week.

I went to Newport today and followed a walking tour of Colonial buildings. There are some wonderful buildings with many paned windows, some saltbox houses. Most said they wer open on Saturday but were not
actually open. I had lunch in this tavern built in 1673 and is now still an operating tavern. The floor boards were probably 12 inches wide. First cut tree growth for sure.

There were named buildings on the tour and then a lot of private houses identified mostly from the 1700's. I was very tired and sweaty (It was humid) but I love old buildings and enjoyed the tour.
Tomorrow will be an exciting and special day. Tune in!

No comments:

Post a Comment