Thursday, September 1, 2011

Stuck in Rockport Maine for 10 days I was lucky enough to obtain space on the Schooner Lewis R French (www.schoonerfrench.com) for a 4 day sail. It was my 10th trip on the French and a restful, fun vacation from traveling, hitching up and emptying waste tanks.
There was a very congenial group of passengers and most of last years crew on the boat. We had our lobster bake the first day out. We all row to a beach where the crew cooks lobster and corn preceded by hamburgers, hot dogs and snacks.
We were met on the beach this year by the former owners and captain of the French, Dan and Kathy Pease. It was good to see them and hear about their 2 sons. Lobster bake is informal - sit on the sand - no implements except your hands and a rock if you have a hard shelled lobster. (We had soft shells) Leave no waste on the beach and row back to the schooner.
The trip was blessed with wind every day and a great wind on the last day. I was on the helm all afternoon the first day, here pictured with Garth Wells the Captain and, with his Captain wife, Jenny, owner of the French. Garth is quite the ham. When we returned to shore my car was ready and I was greeted with news that Hurricane Irene was headed up the coast of the U.S.

I decided to go inland and rode out the days in my friends driveway in Rochester. We had no rain and just a little wind, barely rocking the trailer.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Sal....I'm glad to see Irene didn't affect you. I know Jersey felt her effects, as did the New England states. Hope you've enjoyed your summer. Where to next? Dolores

    ReplyDelete