| Harper's Ferry from a Church on the Hill |
After a long silence I will try to catch up with this blog. I was stuck
in Rochester with health issues and car issues for 3 weeks. My 8 year
old car with 170,000 miles on it has been replaced with a new (to me)
Honda Pilot which will tow the Airstream better because it tows more
weight. My first night out of Rochester I headed for a campground in
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. The campground is on the grounds of an old
farm. The trouble was that the ground was so soggy from Hurricane Lee 1
month before that it couldn't be used. The owner said he had a spot
for me and here it is in front of the barns. After that anyone who came
in was told there was not a spot for them because they would have to be
towed out.
I
headed for Harper's Ferry, West Virginia which is a beautiful place
besides the historical significance of John Brown's raid. In addition
to the raid Meriwether Lewis came to Harper's Ferry to have some guns
made at the federal armory and to have a boat made for the expedition
across the country to the Pacific Ocean.
| The C&O Canal bed |
| Gooney Creek |
After a wonderful visit with my cousin Tim who teaches psychology at the University of Virginia and who gave me a copy of his new book, I drove to Appomattox Court House to tour the site where General Lee surrendered.
Here are the house and the parlor where the surrender took place.
I had some trouble with my hitch as it had to be altered to the height of the new car. Trouble with the antisway bars led me to a Camping World in Winchester Virginia. They were very busy but I could not unhitch the car so the service manager looked at the hitch. He showed me that the bars would loosen and gave me some advice. He did not charge me at all and now I am comfortable hitching up and unhitching.
No comments:
Post a Comment