I have been traveling now for two and a half years and this week I was given a surprise by my friend Jim. He told me the night before I got to Cleveland that after I backed in and unhitched and hooked up my trailer he had a surprise for me. He said it didn't cost him anything and it was permanent. I could make no sense of that but see that of all the sites I have been on this one is really mine!
 |
| Sally's permanent site in an exclusive campground |
|
|
Jim calls his construction yard an exclusive campground and I am the only one allowed in.
Going on my traditional sail off the coast of Maine on my same schooner the Lewis R French I had just seen an Ansel Adams exhibit in Salem, Massachusetts at the Peabody Essex Museum. A wonderful exhibit only shown in the U.S. in Salem before departing for Europe it is called "At the water's edge".
I began to experiment with black and white photography and most of the next photos are B&W.
 |
| Afternoon reflection. Blue Hill Bay |
I think this was the nicest day of the sail but the whole sail was great considering it was the last sail of the season and began September 30 lasting 6 days.
 |
| Captain Garth Wells at the helm |
I spent the trip taking sort of artful photos. The passengers were a very interesting and congenial group. The food was too good, fresh homemade meals cooked on a wood stove.
The knot work on the boat is beautiful. Very intricate.
 |
| Shipshape |
Here is some fun. The sails in Black and White and then Color.
When we anchor for the evening there are sometimes hikes to take or crafts. A seasonal craft but with a twist.
 |
| Schooner Pumpkin |
This one had to be in color. It was carved by one of the Galley crew.
Sometimes there are visits ashore. Following are pictures from Frenchboro, Maine. The water was calm so there were good reflections.
 |
| Rowboat Reflections |
 |
| Church Reflection |
At the "All you can eat" Lobster bake I found more photo ops.
 |
| On the Beach |
 |
| My favorite boat to row |
 |
| Schooner Lewis R French |
Holland America can't come close to this!
Garth Wells, captain and owner is going to replace the mainsail this year and in preparation they spent an early morning measuring the sails. My only effort was to write down the measurements as they got them.
 |
| Ryan Downs, 1st mate |
 |
| Captain Garth reaching for the measuring tape |
Every sail comes to an end. This sail ended with the boat coming in bow first. Usually they back in but they wanted the bow in first for the winter. Many of the passengers take this sail and stay for "downrigging". Everything is taken off the boat for the winter, bedding, towels, plates, kitchen staples, lines, sails and then the boat is covered much like the boat seen in this picture with a plastic cover on it.
 |
| Coming into port, Camden, Maine |
Go to the website for the French for more information on future trips. www.schoonerfrench.com
No comments:
Post a Comment