 |
| Park Avenue |
Arches National Park is in the Eastern part of Utah. It lies atop an underground salt bed. " Water and Ice, extreme temperatures and underground salt movement are responsible for the sculptured rock scenery". (A quote from the park brochure)
I was there on a day when there were clouds and returned the next day which was sunny with crystal blue skies typical of Utah.
 |
| Balanced Rock |
 |
| Another balanced rock |
|
|
All of the features on the road into the park are named but the park rangers say that there are plenty of unnamed arches and if hiking a person could discover one that they know nothing about.
 |
| Hiking into Sand Dune Arch |
I walked to Sand Dune Arch so named because it is on a sand dune. Through these rocks there was a family with a small child playing in the sand.
 |
| Sand Dune Arch |
 |
| Out of Sand Dune Arch |
|
The next feature I came across were the petrified sand dunes. Formed millions of years ago and then covered by rock they compacted and petrified and then the covering rock eroded away.
 |
| Petrified Sand Dunes |
The dunes look just like rock (and are now) but you can see dune shapes.
 |
| View across Salt Valley |
 |
| Delicate Arch |
The most photographed arch in the park is Delicate Arch. The iconic photo is from the other side but I was not able to hike the rough trail complete with a narrow ledge to walk on. This photo was taken from a viewpoint and cropped.
 |
| Three Gossips |
The Three Gossips were my favorite feature.
 |
| Organ pipes |
Some foliage from the park.
 |
| Tree Sculpture |
 |
| Interesting wildflower |
Back at my campground in Moab I was in a valley between 2 rock rims with mountains in the distance. A beautiful setting.
 |
| Rock Rim |
 |
| Moon set |
|
Leaving Utah (sniffle) I traveled up a beautiful canyon along the Colorado River. Upriver from the Grand Canyon, this canyon will have to do for now.
Follow me as I drive east and attend a party with friends from the Florida Keys and return to Cleveland and Jim's yard.
No comments:
Post a Comment