Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Shakedown Cruise

First Sunset in the Keys.
In the absence of WiFi for days now this will be an account of the journey from Shreveport, LA to Marathon, FL. A shake-down cruise, an adventure, some hilarious mistakes, some sublime traveling.
Shreveport was Friday night. Saturday night was spent in Hattiesburg, Mississippi (I just had to spell that out!). By Saturday I realized that my waste tanks were frozen. I could not use my water at all so I asked the campground if they had restrooms and showers so that I could go out in 17 degrees and go to the restroom. Better than rupturing a tank. I knew the tanks were not full so they would stand some expansion of the freezing liquid and I appear to be right. There seems to be no damage. I put my hair dryer under the valve of the black water tank to thaw it out and after a while it did thaw. When I pulled it open nothing happened so I knew the waste pipe was frozen. It was too cold to thaw the waste pipe so that is when I officially abandoned the water in the trailer.
Sunday was a nice day on the road. Few trucks and almost no traffic. I discovered that Cracker Barrel has RV parking spaces! I had breakfast there and will consider Cracker Barrel as I travel although the food is bland.
I traveled Sunday from Mississippi through Alabama to the Florida Panhandle. Mobile Alabama has a tunnel under something. I cannot go through tunnels because I carry hazardous material. No I am not a dangerous person but my propane tanks are considered hazardous in tunnels. All RVs carry them. I went on a detour around the tunnel that took me through downtown Mobile. I actually prefer to see the city but I was glad it was Sunday and no traffic. It is a beautiful city. One to visit sometime.
I realized that the day was warmer than I had experienced so I stopped early in Marianna, Fl to see if I could empty my waste tanks. Black water – sewage, Grey Water, from sinks. The valves were thawed and so were the tanks and I was in business again.
Monday I wanted to make time. I was taking it easy but the trip was too long. The roads were empty. I really pushed the car. Gas mileage was lower but I made it to Fort Pierce on the East Coast of Florida. A very nice campground with friendly people. I settled in the site, a pull through, (I can’t back the trailer into a space yet) I plugged everything in,, added water to my fresh water tank, found that my microwave and TV didn’t work. I tried all the fuses and circuit breakers that Bob showed me and was very troubled. Went to the office to ask for help. I thought it was a fuse that I cannot reach. The office had a person who could look at it but alas, he was playing a card game and couldn’t be disturbed. A fellow camper said, “ Let me look”. He did. Almost immediately he said, “ Are you plugged in?” Yes. He said”Maybe the circuit breakers have tripped”. No, I just didn’t’ check to see if the circuit breakers were on! Everything in the camper will operate on battery except the microwave and TV! Problem solved!!
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
I went to the office to ask to have my propane tanks filled. As I opened the door someone said , “We’ re not open.” “We don’t open until eight”. Then someone looked at the clock and said it was eight. I explained that I wanted propane and I was told where to go to get it but don’t go until these guys go because they are the ones who fill the tanks. I waited 10 min., 15 min. The guys stood and talked, put on jackets, stood and talked for 15=20 minutes and I decided I could get propane elsewhere. I left and began to look for a restaurant that they advertised in their brochure. I took a wrong turn and was in a farmer’s field thinking I will have to back out of a dead end. It took a long time but I came out on a real road and found route 1. I didn’t; find the restaurant I had read about but a diner, small and looking like everything I would like. I noted the driveway on the first side and then the second and decided I could get in and even turn around. It made my day! Their breakfast was the best I’d had since I left home and I got the trailer out easily. I am learning to find places where the trailer will get in and out.
I’ll be home in the Keys tonight. Stouts Restaurant for breakfast tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment