Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Pacific Ocean

Yesterday was an exciting day. I saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time in my life! I drove around the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State and came to Ruby Beach. I drove down the road and stood looking. The day was cloudy and somewhat foggy but in the distance I could see and island with a lighthouse. I am now in a campground in Washington and will travel down the Oregon Coast
The push to get here from the National Parks took me through Pendleton, Oregon. Anyone who knows me knows I love Pendleton woolens. I had to stop and tour the factory. It was a neat tour and I bought a wool throw to use in Alice when it is chilly. (which it is today) I made a reservation in a campgound and found it to be somewhat rundown. It was one of the friendliest campgrounds that I have been in. I made friends with a young woman who was trying to live independently. The children flocked to her site and played outside her trailer. We talked "girl talk" far into the night.












I was headed for Seattle on the way to the coast. I have friends there. My campground was a parking lot but close in to where my friends live. Dinner with them and then exploring. I went to Everett to tour the Boeing plant. This is the largest building in the world. So large the 747s they were assembling looked small!
I have blown my August budget on meals in the Seattle/Puget Sound area. Dungeness Crab for lunch while watching the ferries come and go in Seattle itself. Roasted salmon with green apples and buerre blanc and on the third day a bowl of fresh steamed mussels in a very old tavern on Whidbey Island. The mussels come from a cove right outside the tavern windows. It is the sea and I love seafood.

No comments:

Post a Comment