Thursday, October 28, 2010

Memphis





The city of Memphis. Famous as the place where Elvis Presley lived. Graceland. I didn't go there. It seemed like an expensive tourist trap and I had been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Memphis is the home of the National Civil Rights Museum house at the Lorraine Motel where Martin Luther King Jr. was killed on April 4, 1968. A great museum with the history of the Civil Rights Movement which I remember watching as I grew up. Histories of the Sit-ins, Freedom Riders, Voter Registrations, Bus boycotts, marches. Very well done.
Next, lunch at one of Alton Browns stops as he toured the Mississippi Valley.
In the afternoon I went to the Mississippi River Museum to see the history and culture of the River. Pictures here include a light that served the same purpose as the east coast lighthouses but it is a small lantern that light keepers filled with oil only to be emptied by unscrupulous people. Tonight I am in a motel because here in Helena, Arkansas, home of the Delta Cultural Center I was not pleased with the local RV Park. It was pretty seedy.

1 comment:

  1. Sally,
    Your blog has been great to follow. Your commentary and photos do such a good job capturing the essence of the areas you have visited. Thanks so much for all the time and effort you spend in keeping the rest of us updated who are traveling along with you in our easy chairs!
    Best Wishes,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete