Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sailing

The Lewis R French is a coasting schooner, 2 masted, built in 1871. Freed from her cargo days she now carries passengers on 3,4 or 6 day sails in Penobscot Bay out of Camden Maine. I have been sailing on her since 2003 and was delighted when I got to the east in time for a trip this year and there was a cabin available. Boarding on a Thursday at 6 P.M. I had backed my trailer into the boat shed where cars are stored. I ate dinner at Atlantica in Camden. A restaurant that
I found last year featuring local ingredients in their dishes. I had recommended it to the woman in the Cody Wyoming campground who told me about Waterfront Depot in Florence Oregon. We stay in the harbor the first evening and then head out in the morning. Lots of interesting passengers aboard as usual. It was fun to see my friends, Captains Garth Wells and Jenny Tobin and meet their 10 month old baby.
We sailed out of the harbor and I was able to be on the helm for a while. It was cold so we went downwind and it was warmer on the boat. We sailed past the town of Castine and to Smith Cove for the night which is well protected. Lobster bake in Smith Cove the

next day which proved to be sunny and warm. I went for a row in one of the rowboats taking a fellow passenger with me who lives on the eastern shore of Virginia and invited me to visit her when I find myself in her neighborhood. On Sunday I got 2 hours on the helm tacking up the bay in a good wind, fighting the schooner to stay on course. It was the best fun. I got so cold that it took 2 hours sitting by the wood stove in the galley before I could take my jacket off but it was well worth it!
The Lewis R French sails traditional sails, no engine, no cell phones or electronics. Pure wind and water. Remember if you want to go the website is www.schoonerfrench.com

No comments:

Post a Comment