Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Gulf Coast

I followed local roads across the Gulf Coast. In Mississippi the road is beautiful. Right next to the beach from Pass Christian to Pascagoula. There are turnouts where you can park and walk across the beach and into the Gulf of Mexico. I stopped frequently. A beautiful ride except that it used to be more beautiful. The picture of this empty lot




once had a house, probably a mansion on it. The whole Mississippi coast has these heartbreaking lots which held houses destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. Some lots have new homes on them, some have a foundation of about 3 or 4 feet, even more heartbreaking.
Into Florida. Well, Florida's "Scenic Highways" are not. Florida allows buildings right on the water and the road is behind the first line of buildings. Once I reached beyond Destin the road ran through rural areas to Carrabelle where I was headed for a campground that I knew to be right on the gulf. I could see the gulf from my trailer window and a short walk takes one to the beach. The gulf water was clear. No sign of oil. Beautiful sunsets as you can see. I loved Carrabelle and will go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment