Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Natchez and the Trace

Natchez, Mississippi. A beautiful city spared the destruction of the Civil War because of the duplicity of the Natchez government. You see while they sent money to the Confederacy they convinced the Union that they were loyal. As a result they still have beautiful Antebellum mansions some of which are open to the public but many more are featured on a very good historical tour of the city.



I drove up the Natchez Trace Parkway which runs from Natchez to Nashville, Tennessee. The site of a wilderness road used by native Americans, circuit riders, post riders, slaves, adventurers, settlers and outlaws the Parkway is a beautiful 2 lane road with plantings separating it from any civilization. Here and there including in one of these pictures are spots where you can see the original road. I stayed in a campground right on the banks of the Mississippi River in Louisiana across the river from Natchez. Several afternoons I took my beach chair and book to the riverbank and watched the river traffic. On the Sunday I attended a service at the Jefferson Street United Methodist Church built in the 1870s and nicely kept up it is a very friendly church.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Sally. I finally got a chance to pull up your blog, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading the first "page." I'll digest it little by little as I go backwards through older posts. I admire your explorer spirit! And I am drooling over the eats in all the authentic restaurants. I am going to recommend your blog to Jan Slusmon...don'tknow if you remember him, but he grew up on the corner of Johnson and Caldwell Terrace. He also has a travel wanderlust of sorts, and you two have a lot in common! Thanks for sharing your travels with us!...Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natchez is a beautiful city, but it has a dark side--lots of badly dilapidated shotgun houses on the streets behind the mansions. One of the most awful things I've ever seen is the old slave market, where they actually auctioned off slaves. It sent chills down my spine. But it's a great jumping-off place for the Trace (see my other post). Jan

    ReplyDelete