Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fort Myers

Cedar Key is on the west coast of Florida. I camped at the Sunset Isle Motel and RV park. I had a water site and was glad I agreed to pay the extra for it. The sunset was glorious that night. I watched it from my own personal pier right behind my camper. All the water sites have piers. I think I'll go back there on my way north. In the morning my jack on the trailer broke. The handle came out and there was a broken pin that connected it to the gears. I took it apart myself but now my car was already hitched up with no chance of raising the camper off the hitch ball on the car so I couldn't go anywhere. To the rescue came 3 campground workers. One took the handle and drilled out the remaining part of the pin stuck in the handle. The other took the part of the pin to Napa and bought a new one and the third put the jack back together. They would not allow me to tip them. They would not allow me to pay fort the pin. They only said, "Come back someday." That is camping for you.
On to Fort Myers. I visited with and had dinner with 2 friends who grew up on my street in West
Orange, New Jersey. I had not seen them in over 30 years and it was good to visit with them. We talked about old friends and shared stories of friends and family. What a great evening!
Next I had planned to visit the winter home of Thomas Edison. I had a personal interest in this home. My grandfather had worked for Edison in West Orange and came with Edison to Fort Myers 2 years in a row for the winter. At left is the Edison home. The other building is called the Caretakers home but the people who came down from West Orange stayed there so I think that was my grandfather's winter home. There is no record of his presence because he was a lowly office boy and lab worker but he had a lot of contact with Thomas Edison who called him "Young fellow".
I am now in my winter home. My campground in
the Florida Keys. Some good friends are already here. More will arrive soon. I will be here for Christmas. Today I plan to decorate my trailer for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment