Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Iowa State Fair

I am headed across Route 80 to Salt Lake City but when I arrived in Iowa I discovered that the State Fair opened the next day.  The Iowa State Fair is reputed to be the largest State Fair in the country.  I was able to park on the fair grounds where the Shriners are using golf carts to bring people from the parking lot to raise money in tips.  A useful service.
Cattle Judging

First I watched the cattle judging for a while.  Then I went to the Cattle building and found this young man, probably 4-H brushing his calf.

I wanted to see piglets but alas could not find any in the Swine building.  Only this pig chowing down.  The rest of the animals were sleeping the afternoon away.


The fair experience is now complete without a trip to the amusement area.  The midway was exactly as I would have imagined.  I bought 3 tickets because that is the Merry-Go-Round entrance.

The Midway

A great feature on the IPhone allow me to turn the camera around the get this picture of me on the Merry-Go-Round.  Back to the livestock.

A Champion Horse
Nuzzling Sheep
What would a fair be without fair food.  Most of the fair is filled with food booths.  Not finding any Iowa corn (on the cob) I settled for my first ever corndog.

Remnants of a yummy corndog.
I walked and walked and walked.  A really fun time.
Now on to Salt Lake but maybe some other diversions.  Never know what will be going on in the next few states.

No comments:

Post a Comment