Thursday, April 21, 2011

Maritime Museums

I love the water and I love boats (especially sailboats) and I love Maritime Museums. I have visited several around the country. This one is the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels, Maryland. It is interesting to see the difference in boats around the country. In each museum are boats designed in the local area for use in that specific area. The Chesapeake Bay has a sailboat called the Bugeye. The bugeye is a large dugout boat constructed of more than one trunk but they are sailed. When I was at the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, Maine I saw Maine Peapods. They are small sailboats carrying only one sail.

The Chesapeake Bay Museum has much historical information about how the boating evolved from just working boats to boats for vacationers. At the right is the first Comet ever built. Designed for a family who wanted something simple for children to sail the designer came up with an idea to build a smaller version of the Star sailboat. I have sailed both Comets and Stars.
There was a hydroplane in the museum called "Tee Rific"
There used to be a hydroplane race on Lake George when I was growing up. I had a friend from that area who grew up to race hydroplanes. He probably
knows this boat and its owner!

No comments:

Post a Comment