
The second lighthouse. Cape Lookout Light with its distinctive checkerboard paint. To reach the lighthouse you take one of 4 private ferries to the island which is a National Seashore. The light is currently in operation. There were campers on the island. If I had planned well I could have brought my tent and supplies and fallen asleep to the sound of the surf.

The campgound I found is a small friendly place. Many RVs are there permanently and the owners come for weekends or weeks or a month at a time. It is a fishing camp and Saturday morning there was a traffic jam at the boat launch. Friday evening the porch on the office was full of people just chatting. All are welcomed. One morning I got up to photograph the sunrise. I watched the fish jump in the canal for a while and headed back to shower and make breakfast. On the way I spoke with a man tenting who was riding a bicycle from Charleston to New Jersey. Then I chatted with a man who was cleaning fish from his catch the day before. He gave me a nice piece of flounder for my breakfast. There is nothing like freshly caught fish and some eggs.
Later I laughed and chatted with a man whose dog had attempted to lift his leg on my beach towel which was hanging off my picnic table. He drove by after that and noticed I had hitched up my car. I explained that I had a reservation on the 7:30 Cedar Island/Okracoke Ferry the next morning. He invited me to have dinner with him and his son. He then went back to his motor home and told his son they were having company. "Who is it?" the son asked. The reply was, "I don't know her name." We introduced ourselves over the wine I brought and had a nice chat during dinner. Ray, a widower, travels enough that we think we'll run into each other again sometime. That's life on the road. Next. Sailing.
No comments:
Post a Comment