Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sailing, Sailing


On to the Outer Banks of North Caroling. Cape Hatteras and the Graveyard of the Atlantic. To reach the Banks from the south I took a ferry from Cedar Island, NC to Ocracoke Island, drove north on Rt. 12 to another small ferry to Hatteras Island. It was the first time Alice went sailing. The Cedar Island Ferry trip is over 2 hours long and my reservation (vehicles not over 40 ft.) was for 7:30 in the morning. It was a beautiful day on Pamlico Sound, called by the Captain the largest inland body of salt water. We left the campground at 6:15 and had plenty of time before boarding. I love to be on the water and spent the time watching the traffic and talking to people including a motorcyclist from Ontario Province in Canada. A farmer who said they had finished seeding and it wasn't time to weed yet so he took off.
The second ferry is a free ferry, 15 minutes long. Just wait in line because there are plenty of ferries. I am again in a small friendly campground. The last one, much as I liked it did not have a laundry so laundry was first on my list when I arrived here.
Next: Are you tired of lighthouses?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment